Pages

Thursday, March 20, 2008

Mission: stop being fat

So after watching the numbers on my scale creep slowly up and realizing that I have gone up a cup size, I decided it was time to stop this whole "getting fat" trend before it reeally gets moving and becomes even harder to stop (like a freight train- fat has a lot of momentum). The rec center has personal trainers available so I decided to take advantage of one (sadly, although I have a mandatory fee with tuition that pays for access to the rec center, the personal trainers and classes all cost extra. I think that is lame, but whatever. I went for it anyway). So I had my first training appointment last night. Now...I hurt. The goal is to get me in shape and start working off the pounds while at the same time toning the few muscles I have. So my routine is to do 20 minutes on one of the elliptical (apparently when I was doing this on my own I wasn't doing it right cause I was a LOT more tired after those 20 minutes than I usually am after 35). Then I did 10 sets of lunges while holding a medicine ball, then 10 sets of heel raises on a weight machine (so I was raising more than just my own body weight), then repeated each of those. Then I did two different machines to work my back muscles, 10 reps x2 yet again (this is a magic number I see). Then I did bicep curls and triceps...also curls? I don't know- it is all behind my head. Then I did "twists" where I sat on the mat with my knees up and my feet off the floor holding a medicine ball and twisting back and forth, interspersed with squats while holding some weights. Then I did a whole big sit up routine.
So now I am sore. Not HUGELY sore...I mean, I don't cry when I walk up or down stairs or anything...but I am definitely considering taking advantage of another service the rec center supplies: massage.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Are you going to keep up with the personal trainer or just do the recommended exercises until they don't hurt anymore? Do some basic stretches on the sore bits in between to help those muscles become limber and not seize up. This was about an hour, I'm guessing? My doctor would love me forever if I did that! I have physical therapy for my hip (old lady disease) starting next week - should be fun...

Andrea said...

Well, I purchased one session at the outset with the plan that the trainer and I would make a plan and then I would follow through on it. She made me a schedule and everything. But I am going to get one more session so she can walk me through an alternate set of exercises, that way I can switch things up.